Quick news post for March, including urgent call for volunteers for AKC



AED and First Aid
The club has just received a Samaritan PAD 360p AED (Automatic External Defibrillator). The individual or organisation who donated it wishes to remain anonymous but they have our heartfelt thanks!


Defibrillators are devices that restore a normal heartbeat by sending an electric pulse or shock to the heart. They are used to prevent or correct an arrhythmia, a heartbeat that is uneven or that is too slow or too fast. Defibrillators can also restore the heart’s beating if the heart suddenly stops. 
Different types of defibrillators work in different ways. Automated external defibrillators (AEDs), which are in many public spaces, were developed to save the lives of people experiencing sudden cardiac arrest. Even untrained bystanders can use these devices in an emergency. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/defibrillators
https://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/community/education/restart-a-heart-day/

In the time I have been doing Kendo (~30 years), two people have died of heart attack in Australia whilst doing Kendo. It is highly likely that both would have been saved had this technology been available at the time.

An often quoted statistic is that if an AED is used in the first minute after cardiac arrest, the patient has an almost 70% chance of survival. This is as opposed to around a 30% chance of survival if only CPR is performed. This article is an example of what we should aim for as a club:
https://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/record-survival-rates-for-cardiac-arrest-in-victoria/


What you should do:
  1.  Make sure your Ambulance Victoria membership is up to date or join if you haven't already.  https://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/membership/
  2. Seriously consider doing either a "HLTAID001 - Provide CPR" or "HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid" course. CBD College are an excellent training organisation that I can recommend from personal experience. The CPR course only goes for 2.5 hrs. The First Aid course is an all day course. Also, check whether your workplace offers these courses for employees as Professional Development.
  3. Watch the video above!

TeamApp
We have chosen to use TeamApp as a way of sending information quickly to all members. Please download the app to your smartphone. If you don't have a smartphone it is still possible to sign up and receive notifications via email. https://www.teamapp.com/?_detail=v1






Gradings
Please note carefully this clarification from the VKR about grading and membership.
"All VKR Kendo Clubs are advised that a person who wishes to attempt a VKR Grading in March 2020 must have paid their 2019/20 VKR/AKR membership fees before 15 December 2019.  Anyone whose membership fees have been paid since then will have to wait until September.  Similarly, anyone who wishes to attempt a VKR Grading in September 2020 must have paid their 2020/21 VKR/AKR membership fees before 15 June 2020."

Beginners
The new beginners are off to a great start with Chie running the course this time (ably assisted by Kyouka and Kaito). There can be a lot to remember in terms of new words, not just new techniques and ways of moving, so to help you out we have a beginners handbook you can access. As you progress you will find everything Chie covers in the course listed somewhere in our handbook, from diagrams about how to sit and stand, to a compete glossary of terms and even a pronunciation guide!

https://www.kendo.org.au/p/nanseikan-2015-beginners-manual.html


Working With Children Check
As previously mentioned is now a requirement that all adults who train where children are present who are not close family must have a current WWCC. Previously it was only instructors but now it is everyone. Apply here:
https://wwcv.auspost.com.au/

Once you have your card please let me know your registration number.


Reminder of new roles and email addresses
Coming out of our meeting last year, three new roles were created to help club organisation. Thanks to these members for volunteering their time.
  • Competition Manager: Mick D.
    Role: facilitating entry to competitions and on-the-day logistic
  • Secretary: Andrew D.
    Role: passing on information from VKR/AKR to members via website, after-training announcements (Shugo) and, with Andrew E., via TeamApp
  • Membership: Sean D. Role: to facilitate and process membership applications and renewals to VKR/AKR in a timely manner (see Gradings notice above). Note: it is the aim of the VKR to move eventually to self-service membership application and renewals, hopefully making this role redundant in the near future.
  • Communication Support: Andrew E. Role: to manage and evaluate the functioning of communication platforms for the club, primarily at the moment updating TeamApp with information from Secretary.
  • VKR Committee: Mick D. (as above)
    Role: attendance at the four VKR Committee meetings this year; to inform club members of relevant information and decisions; to vote on VKR policy on behalf of the club.
At the end of this year we will meet again and evaluate as a club what changes can be made to improve these roles.

LASTLY...!
The VKR has put out another call for volunteers, specifically from Nanseikan, for the upcoming Australian Kendo Championships at Easter.

Please go to this link and put your name down against the roles you think you would be suitable for, your level of experience, your contact details, and the days you are available.

Onegaishimasu!🙇






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kendo dummy

A scientific look at suburi